SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.33 issue1Positron emission tomography (PET) and PET-CT in renal, bladder and prostate cancer: UpdateComparative study between analgesic efficacy and safety of meperidine compared with lidocaine periprostatic infiltration in transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Actas Urológicas Españolas

Print version ISSN 0210-4806


VILLAVICENCIO MAVRICH, Humberto et al. Robotic radical prostatectomy: first 100 patients in Fundació Puigvert. Actas Urol Esp [online]. 2009, vol.33, n.1, pp.24-29. ISSN 0210-4806.

Objective: We present the 100 first robotic radical prostatectomy with Da Vinci (RRPdaV), corresponding to the first experience in Spain. Methods:We reviewed the first 100 patients that underwent transperitoneal RRPda performed in Fundació Puigvert between July 2005 and January 2007. All cases were performed by 5 surgeons, being the learning curve for all of them. We analyzed surgical time, blood loss, conversion rate, intra and postoperative complications, hospital stay and days of bladder catheterization. Also, rates and location of surgical margins, as well as functional outcomes with an average follow up of 10.3 months. Results: Mean operating time was 180 minutes (100-310) and blood loss 210 mL (100-390). Blood transfusion was required in 2 cases. There were no intraoperative complications and neither any conversion to open surgery. There were 3 outstanding postoperative events, a compartmentalize syndrome, an acute urinary retention after removal of urethral catheter, and a paresthesias due to brachial plexus compression. Mean hospital stay were 3.7 days. (2-21). We had 21 cases of positive surgical margins (21%). The most frequent location was posterior lateral. 69 of 100 patients (69%) reached early (<3 months) total continence, 91% achieved in 9 months, and remaining 9% required use of at least one pad. Concerning to sexual function, 13 of 100 patients (13%) had preoperative erectile dysfunction, of remaining cases, 62% preserved potency at review, and 38% had postoperative erectile dysfunction. Conclusions: RRPDAv is a safe and reproducible procedure, and offers promising oncological and functional results with a minimal invasive technique. In spite of include the learning curve of 5 surgeons; we obtain an excellent rate of continence, and an acceptable sexual function. The individual improvement, with more experience, and a longer follow-up, will allow to value evolution of the technique, and it results.

Keywords : Robotic radical prostatectomy; Da Vinci; Prostate cancer.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License