SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.27 número1 índice de autoresíndice de materiabúsqueda de artículos
Home Pagelista alfabética de revistas  

Anales del Sistema Sanitario de Navarra

versión impresa ISSN 1137-6627

Resumen

GIL-SETAS, A. et al. Antibiotic sensitivity and treatment recommendations for  Streptococcus pneumoniae. Anales Sis San Navarra [online]. 2004, vol.27, n.1, pp.37-43. ISSN 1137-6627.

The aims of present paper were to determine the susceptibility of the strains to the most usual antibiotics in clinical practice and to review the current recomendations to guide the most appropiate treatment. During the period october 2000 to september 2002, the patient’s data (age and sex), source of the sample, diagnosis and antibiotic susceptibility were collected on Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from microbiology laboratories in the Navarra region (555.829 inhabitans). Four hundred and sixty five isolates were identified (166 from invasive infections). Generally, isolates from ear swabs were the most resistant to the antimicrobials tested, while those from blood culture were the most susceptible. Of the Streptococcus pneumoniae tested, 43% were resistant to penicillin, 6.1% to amoxicillin and 6.6% to cefotaxime. Of the 36.3% of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates that were resistant to erythromycin, 85.45% exhibited the MLSB phenotype while the remaining 14.55% presented with the M phenotype. Multiple-resistance was detected in 32.3% of the strains. The antibiotic resistance rates to beta-lactams (specially penicillin, amoxicillin and cefotaxime/ceftrixone) in Streptococcus pneumoniae don’t prevent its clinical use for the most of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated in our area, except for pneumococcal meningitis.

Palabras clave : Streptococcus pneumoniae; Antibiotic susceptibility; Beta-lactams.

        · resumen en Español     · texto en Español     · Español ( pdf )