SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.67 número1Estabilidad emocional y cortisol como factores diferenciadores de la fibromialgiaReparación de una eventración abdominal mediante técnica SILS índice de autoresíndice de materiabúsqueda de artículos
Home Pagelista alfabética de revistas  

Servicios Personalizados



Links relacionados

  • En proceso de indezaciónCitado por Google
  • No hay articulos similaresSimilares en SciELO
  • En proceso de indezaciónSimilares en Google


Sanidad Militar

versión impresa ISSN 1887-8571


NAVARRO SUAY, R. et al. Analysis of the injuring agent in the combat casualty: The Spanish Medical Service experience in Herat (Afghanistan). Sanid. Mil. [online]. 2011, vol.67, n.1, pp.18-24. ISSN 1887-8571.

Introduction: The medical officer's knowledge about armament-related aspects improves the diagnosis and medical care of the casualty. In this article the injuring agents in the main recent conflicts are presented. The objective of this study is the analysis of the injuring agent in the casualties received in the military hospital in Herat (Afghanistan) between 2005 and 2008. Materials and methods: A descriptive, transversal study was carried out including all civilian and military personnel wounded by firearms or explosive devices in the West Region of Afghanistan, and taken care of in the Spanish Role 2 in Herat (Afghanistan) during the years 2005-2008. Results: The total number of cases was 256. The majority of the patients were wounded by explosive devices, as the "Improvised Explosive Devices" (IEDs) (n = 183; 71%), while the rest suffered gunshot wounds (n = 73; 29%). Conclusions: In our study the predominant mechanism of injury has been the explosive one, followed by firearms. These data are similar to those quoted in other English language reports about combat casualties in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

Palabras clave : Low; Lethality; Casualty generation; Firearm; Explosive; War; Medical Service.

        · resumen en Español     · texto en Español     · Español ( pdf )


Creative Commons License Todo el contenido de esta revista, excepto dónde está identificado, está bajo una Licencia Creative Commons