SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.58 issue5Valencia's scientific contribution to the consolidation of Urology as a speciality: Bibliometric classification by subject, author and journal. Historical documentary analysisAdvantages and risk's of the use of PSA in the heath-care area No. 5 of Gijon (Asturias) author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Archivos Españoles de Urología (Ed. impresa)

Print version ISSN 0004-0614


NAVALON VERDEJO, Pedro et al. The treatment of hydrocele as ambulatory surgery. Arch. Esp. Urol. [online]. 2005, vol.58, n.5, pp.393-401. ISSN 0004-0614.

OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the results of this surgical treatment of hydrocele over the first four years of integration of the Urology Department in the Major Ambulatory Surgery Unit in our Hospital. METHODS: From January 2000 to July 2004 we have performed 167 hydrocelectomies as ambulatory surgery in 152 patients (15 cases bilateral) with ages ranging from 16-87 years (mean 52.6). All procedures were performed under local anesthesia, using between 10-15ml of 1% lidocaine. The Lord’s vaginalis plication technique was employed in 92% of the cases, leaving resection techniques for the remaining 8%, which presented certain degree of enlargement of the tunica vaginalis. We evaluated inclusion and discharge criteria, results, and degree of satisfaction by means of a questionnaire. RESULTS: Results are equivalent to those of inpatient surgery. Only one patient required admission to the hospital due to a postoperative complication, which was clearly independent of the ambulatory character of the process. Satisfaction with treatment was higher than 95%. CONCLUSIONS: Almost all patients with hydrocele are candidates to ambulatory surgery, significantly improving the cost-efficacy rate, without diminishing the quality of care or patient satisfaction.

Keywords : Ambulatory surgery; Hydrocele; Local anesthesia.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License