SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.60 issue1Diagnosis and management of patients with overactive bladder syndrome in urology clinics and general practitioner clinics in SpainIntravesical therapy: influence on superficial bladder cancer progresion author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Archivos Españoles de Urología (Ed. impresa)

Print version ISSN 0004-0614


GARCIA TORRELLES, Marta et al. Results of the surgical treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia in geriatric patients. Arch. Esp. Urol. [online]. 2007, vol.60, n.1, pp.23-30. ISSN 0004-0614.

Objectives: To evaluate the effect of age in morbidity-mortality and outcomes of the surgical treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Method: We performed a retrospective analysis of the medical records of 305 patients over 70 years undergoing surgery for BPH between 1999-2003, grouped in four categories depending on ages 70-80 years and over 80, and type of surgery (transurethral resection or open prostatectomy). The variables evaluated were: American society of anesthesiologists (ASA) operative risk classification, surgical indication, preoperative factors, postoperative outcome and follow-up. Statistical analysis was carried out with the Anova and chi-square tests (p = 0.05). Results: Open prostatectomy was performed in 59.1% of the cases and transurethral resection in the other 40.9%. 98.4% of the patients showed some degree of comorbidity. Indwelling transurethral catheter was the main clinical feature of patients undergoing surgery over 80 years of age; the main characteristic in patients between 70-80 years was the existence of severe symptoms. Urological complications appeared more frequently than general complications (14% vs 10.1%). The most frequent urological complications were mild, mainly inflammatory-infectious diseases. Urological and general complications were more frequently observed in the open prostatectomy group, with no differences between ages. Patient satisfaction was high in the four groups (84.8%-96.2%). No case of perioperative mortality happened and only one patient died in the immediate post operative period. Conclusions: We think the differences observed cannot be attributed to chronological age as clinical risk factor. Therefore, these patients could benefit of a definitive surgical treatment which will improve their quality of life.

Keywords : Benign prostatic hyperplasia; Age; Comorbidity.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License