SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.34 issue1Differences between the prevalence of obesity and weight exceded estimated according to reported or direct measurement in adult people of Valencian RegionCarbohydrates and sports practice: a Twitter virtual ethnography author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Nutrición Hospitalaria

On-line version ISSN 1699-5198Print version ISSN 0212-1611


MUNOZ DE MIER, Gema et al. University students' food consumption assessment and the relation with their academic profile. Nutr. Hosp. [online]. 2017, vol.34, n.1, pp.134-143. ISSN 1699-5198.

Objective: The purpose of this research is to assess the quality of the diet taken by the students of Universidad Alfonso X El Sabio (Madrid) and to learn whether having a specific knowledge about nutrition produce positive effects in food behavior. Methods: 390 students were tested, 72.63% of them studied degrees in relation to health sciences whereas the remaining 27.37% did not. The students were between 18 and 25 years old. The information was gathered through a questionnaire. This information dealt with frequency of food consumption as well as weight and height in order to get the body mass index. Results: The breakdown of the population according to their body mass index was the following: 75.54% normal weight, 11.06% low weight, 13.4% obesity. These figures are considered normal and they are similar to other groups of students. Both groups (health science students and the others) showed a lower cereal, vegetable and fruit consumption in comparison with the recommended percentage; whereas the consumption of pulses was higher than the average in Spain and the average from other groups, almost reaching the recommendable minimum. In addition, both groups showed a high consumption of dairies. No striking differences have been found between both groups. When comparing both of them in relation to gender, women showed better food behavior since they ate more fruit, vegetables and white fish. Conclusion: No differences have been found between the group studying health sciences and the students studying other kind of degree. The obtained results show that the food consumption of the population is far from the stipulated recommendations; therefore, it would be necessary to design a new action plan regarding nutrition.

Keywords : College students; Academic profile; Food behavior.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )