SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.107 número9Frecuencia, factores predictores y consecuencias de la intensificación del tratamiento de mantenimiento con infliximab en la colitis ulcerosaCharacteristics and pattern of recurrence after curative surgery in oesophageal cancer índice de autoresíndice de materiabúsqueda de artículos
Home Pagelista alfabética de revistas  

Servicios Personalizados




Links relacionados

  • En proceso de indezaciónCitado por Google
  • No hay articulos similaresSimilares en SciELO
  • En proceso de indezaciónSimilares en Google


Revista Española de Enfermedades Digestivas

versión impresa ISSN 1130-0108


RODRIGUES-PINTO, Eduardo et al. Outcome of endoscopic self-expandable metal stents in acute malignant colorectal obstruction at a tertiary center. Rev. esp. enferm. dig. [online]. 2015, vol.107, n.9, pp.534-538. ISSN 1130-0108.

Background: Malignant colorectal obstruction (MCRO) by advanced colonic cancer occurs in 8-13% of colonic cancer patients. Emergent surgery carries a high mortality and morbidity risk. Endoscopic self-expanding metal stents (SEMS) may be used in acute MCRO. Aim: Evaluate clinical outcome of SEMS in acute MCRO and efficacy of SEMS placement considering fluoroscopy guidance. Methods: Retrospective study of patients with acute MCRO that placed SEMS in a 3 years period. Results: SEMS were placed in 47 patients, followed-up for a median time of 150 days. The intent of stenting was bridge to definitive surgery in 40% of the patients (n = 19) and palliation in the remaining 60% (n = 28). The location of the tumor did not influence the presence of lymph node involvement (p = 0.764) nor metastasis (p = 0.885). Mortality rate at year 1 was 61%. Survival was significantly higher in patients submitted later to combination therapy compared to chemotherapy, surgery or symptomatic treatment (p < 0.001). Fluoroscopy was used in 57% of the procedures. Clinical success was 79%. A second SEMS was needed during the procedure in 6% of the patients. Rate of early and late complications was 11% and 5%, respectively. Fluoroscopy guidance did not influence the occurrence of immediate (p = 0.385), early (p = 0.950) or late complications (p = 0.057). Thirty-three percent of patients underwent surgery at a later stage, with neo-adjuvant therapy in 18%. Conclusions: SEMS provide a relative safe and successful treatment in a palliative or bridge-to-surgery indication. No significant differences were found in SEMS placement success, early complications or late complications considering fluoroscopy guidance.

Palabras clave : Malignant colorectal obstruction; Self-expanding metal stents; Fluoroscopy.

        · texto en Inglés     · Inglés ( pdf )


Creative Commons License Todo el contenido de esta revista, excepto dónde está identificado, está bajo una Licencia Creative Commons