SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.109 issue6Post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease in liver transplant recipients author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Revista Española de Enfermedades Digestivas

Print version ISSN 1130-0108


BAROSA, Rita et al. CLIF-C ACLF score is a better mortality predictor than MELD, MELD-Na and CTP in patients with acute on chronic liver failure admitted to the ward. Rev. esp. enferm. dig. [online]. 2017, vol.109, n.6, pp.399-405. ISSN 1130-0108.

Background and aims: Acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF) is a frequent syndrome associated with high mortality. The aims of the present study are: a) comparing the Chronic Liver Failure Consortium (CLIF-C) ACLF Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD), MELD Sodium (MELD-Na) and Child-Turcotte-Pugh (CTP) scores for prediction of short/medium term mortality; b) identifying ACLF prevalence in patients admitted to the ward; and c) comparing mortality between non-ACLF/ACLF. Methods: Retrospective cohort study of 177 patients admitted to the Gastroenterology ward for acute decompensation of cirrhosis. Results: We included 132 males. Alcohol was the cirrhosis cause/co-factor in 79.7% of cases. Infection was present in 40.7%. At admission, 19.8% of patients presented ACLF and 7.9% developed it during hospitalization (overall prevalence was 27.7%). ACLF grade 1 was diagnosed in 55.1% of the ACLF patients; grade 2, in 42.8%, and grade 3, in 2.0%. Infection (p < 0.001) and hepatic encephalopathy (p = 0.004) were more prevalent and C-reactive protein and leukocyte counts were higher in ACLF patients. ACLF 28 and 90-day mortality was 45.8% and 60.4%, respectively. The CLIF-C ACLF score was significantly superior to CTP, MELD, MELD-Na in predicting 28-day (AUROC 0.799 ± 0.078, 95% CI 0.637-0.891) and 90-day mortality (AUROC 0.828 ± 0.063, 95% CI 0.705-0.952). Conclusion: ACLF is highly prevalent in the ward. The new CLIF scores identify high mortality cirrhotic patients admitted to the ward and are better than their predecessors to predict ACLF patients' short/medium term mortality.

Keywords : Acute-on-chronic liver failure; Acute decompensation; Organ failure; Gastroenterology ward.

        · text in English     · English ( pdf )