SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.110 issue53D echoendoscopy and miniprobes for rectal cancer stagingQuality indicators in colonoscopy. The colonoscopy procedure author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Revista Española de Enfermedades Digestivas

Print version ISSN 1130-0108


PONTE, Ana et al. Fecal microbiota transplantation in refractory or recurrent Clostridium difficile infection: a real-life experience in a non-academic center. Rev. esp. enferm. dig. [online]. 2018, vol.110, n.5, pp.311-315. ISSN 1130-0108.


this study aimed to describe the efficacy and safety of fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) for the treatment of refractory and recurrent Clostridium difficile infection (CDI).


this was an observational study of patients with refractory or recurrent CDI treated with FMT between June 2014 and January 2017. Primary and secondary outcomes were the resolution of diarrhea without CDI recurrence within two months after one or more FMT. A descriptive analysis was performed.


thirty-four FMT were performed in 28 patients, 88.2% (n = 30) using an upper route with a gastroscopy and 11.8% (n = 4) with colonoscopy; 50% (n = 17) of FMT were due to recurrent CDI and 50% (n = 17) were due to refractory CDI. The overall cure rate of upper FMT was 87.5% (21/24) and 100% (4/4) when colonoscopy was performed. A cure was achieved after one FMT in 88% (22/25) of cases and after two or more FMT in 8% (2/25) of cases, resulting in an overall cure rate of 96% (24/25). No severe adverse events were reported.


FMT constitutes an effective and safe approach for the management of refractory and recurrent CDI, with an overall cure rate of 96% and no reported severe adverse events.

Keywords : Clostridium difficile infection; Fecal microbiota transplantation; Gut microbiota; Endoscopy; Antibiotics.

        · text in English     · English ( pdf )