SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.12 issue30Observational study of validation of nursing diagnosis anxiety in patients with chronic heart failureThe communication nurse-patient in treatment at the emergency services 24 hours: an interpretation in Travelbee author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Enfermería Global

On-line version ISSN 1695-6141


CARRILLO ALGARRA, Ana Julia  and  DIAZ, Flor Janeth. Self-care capability of the patients in peritoneal dialysis: a pilot study in Bogotá. Enferm. glob. [online]. 2013, vol.12, n.30, pp.54-64. ISSN 1695-6141.

Objective: To measure the self-care capability and its relation with the socio-demographic and clinical characteristics in a group of patients from the peritoneal dialysis program according to their self-care capability. Methodology: A prospective, descriptive study of a cross-sectional nature was done. Three data recollection instruments were applied: A socio-demographic and clinical characteristics form, the Morisky-Green test and the Appraisal of Self-care Agency Scale (ASA) were used with 87 patients, male and female alike. They were all over 18 years old and they were going through a peritoneal dialysis treatment having been over a month in the program. A descriptive analysis was done which included absolute and relative frequencies, central tendency and dispersion measures for the Morisky-Green test and for the socio-demographic and clinical tendencies. A multiple correspondence analysis was also done, using as the illustrative variable the self-care capability and as the control differences the following: The socio-demographic and clinical variables. Results: 60% of subjects reported sufficient self-care capability and the remaining 40% reported an insufficient self-care capability. In addition, the self-care activities that the subjects perform the most were defined.

Keywords : self-care activities; peritoneal dialysis; Dorothea Orem; chronic renal failure.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in English | Spanish     · English ( pdf ) | Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License